Search the Web.

Linux to save the day!!!

My gaming rig was down, what to do? I have a raid setup, can't copy in the in xp
to back up my data. I tried many boot cd's but nothing, I was too lazy to hookup a floppy drive to get the raid working. So I put my Ubuntu live CD into the drive a booted it up.

first thing i did, I started up the terminal and then installed NTFS configuration tool by installing using apt-get. I made a directory for the drive that was going to mount. and tried to mount it, and i received this error "root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# mount /dev/sda1 /home/ubuntu/nt_drive/
$MFT has invalid magic.
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults, or you have a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows TWICE. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If you have SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first you must activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for the details."
I thought nice, what now, on prob i can get over this and i noticed "dmraid " I've never played that driver before. So once again installed it by using apt-get
and tried to mount it and once more failure nothing nota goose egg. I figure out that my device setting were not correct , and with use with the tab i quickly found out witch the command is "root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_bdddedej1 /home/ubuntu/nt_drive/" and volla, the drive was mounted .. and i can backup my data.

No comments: